- This event has passed.
Workshop: The Art of Flourishing with David Simons
February 8, 2020 at 10:00 am - 4:00 pm£30 – £35
David is a graphic designer and calligrapher based in the Cotswolds. He was awarded a Diploma in Graphic Design by Gloucestershire College of Art and Technology in 1982 and has also gained an Intermediate Diploma in Calligraphy from CLAS. He enjoys “the flourishing aspect of calligraphy” which can be used to decorate and embellish calligraphy or simply to be a stand-alone piece of art.
The key to successful flourishing is a combination of graceful, smooth lines arranged in harmony. In this workshop we will learn the basic principles of what makes a good flourish and, through some simple exercises, create some pieces to add grace to words and quotes.
- Layout paper
- One or two A4 pieces of better cartridge or hot pressed paper for a finished piece
- Tracing paper
- Blotting paper (or a few sheets of paper for padding)
- Soft pencil (4B or between 2B and 6B)
- A few copperplate nibs – David’s favourites are Gillott 303, Gillott 404, Brause 66EF, Brause 361, Leonardt EF Principal and Nikko G. You may have your own preference and David will have some spare nibs on the day
- Copperplate ink such as Walker’s Copperplate Ink or iron gall ink
- Kitchen roll
£30 (members), £35 (non-members). Please deduct the early-bird discount of £5 if booking by 8 December 2019.