Workshop – Pointed Brush with Rosella Garavaglia
September 21 at 10:00 am - 4:00 pm£30 – £35
This workshop is now full – to be added to the waitlist please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Rosella is a professional calligrapher and experienced tutor. She is a Graduate of the City and Guilds of London Institute in Lettering (with Distinction), the holder of a Further and Adult Education Teachers’ Certificate, a Fellow of CLAS and a Member of the Letter Exchange.
In this workshop we will explore the versatility of the pointed brush as a writing tool and develop a working brush-script that will allow for endless variations. We will learn how to shape and hold the brush, to practise pressure and release strokes and to create a basic brush script loosely based on Italic minuscule and majuscule letterforms.
- The usual calligraphy equipment (but not nibs or pen holders);
- HB pencil, eraser, ruler;
- A set of synthetic round brushes usually used for acrylic painting, preferably No. 2 and No. 4 (the brush tips must be very sharp and the bristles very clean);
- A3 practice paper, cartridge paper and (if you have them) Japanese paper and black or coloured paper;
- Inks and gouache and (if you are using black or coloured paper) Dr Martin’s Bleed Proof white;
- Palettes, kitchen roll, jars and pieces of heavy card (used to shape the brush);
Cost: £30 (members), £35 (non-members). Please deduct the early-bird discount of £5 if booking by 21 July 2019