Workshop – Drawn and Shaded Letters with Rachel Yallop
October 12 at 10:00 am - 4:00 pm£30 – £35
Rachel is a professional calligrapher and experienced tutor. She is a graduate of the Ravensbourne College of Art and Design and the Central School of Art and Design. She is an Honoured Fellow of CLAS, a Founder Member of the Letter Exchange and a member of the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists.
Drawing skills are essential to calligraphy and lettering. The hand skills and accuracy required really help in creating successful letterforms. This workshop is essentially about those skills with a focus on developing a free capitals style reminiscent of Versals. We will look at the construction of capital letters and practise the alphabet, learn the technique of using Conte pencils and compressed charcoal, work on large individual letters and experiment with ruling pens.
- Layout paper for practice
- Cartridge paper or similar
- Conte Pierre Noire “B” pencil
- Compressed charcoal (Medium)
- Ordinary pencil
- Plastic eraser (Rachel uses a Staedtler Mars eraser)
- Ruling pen or pointed brush
- Free-flowing ink (like Pelican 4001)
- Rachel will have with her a supply of compressed charcoal and Conte pencils so if you don’t have them don’t feel the need to rush out and buy them!
Fee: £30 (members), £35 (non-members). Please deduct the early-bird discount of £5 if booking by 12 August 2019