- This event has passed.
Workshop – Copperplate with Joy Daniels
November 16, 2019 at 10:00 am - 4:00 pm£30 – £35
This workshop is now full – to be added to the waitlist please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Joy is a professional calligrapher and experienced tutor, accredited by the Calligraphy and Lettering Arts Society. She has run the Copperplate Special Interest Group since 2005.
This workshop will cover the basics of writing with a flexible pointed nib in the Copperplate style. It is designed for anyone who would like to write in Copperplate, from complete beginners to those with some experience who wish to improve their hand and to practise under the helpful eye of the tutor.
- Pointed nibs – bring any pointed nibs you already have. Joy likes the Gillott 1068A nib or the Nikko G nib from Scribblers – Joy has a variety of vintage nibs to try out and can have some for sale if you wish
- Pen Holder – either a normal straight pen holder used for other types of calligraphy, or an angled pen holder – you can try both in the class to see which you prefer and there will be some angled ones for sale
- Black ink – eg Higgins Eternal, Pelikan 4001, Quink, or gouache if it’s familiar
- Thin white paper – An A3 or A4 Layout pad, or a Marker Pad of your preference if you are going to buy one (there are several makes of Marker pads and the one I don’t like is called Silvine). Ryman’s do an inexpensive A4 plain refill pad if you can get one near you. I have some thin paper to use if you run out
- Pencils – HB and a softer pencil
- Other – pencil sharpener, ruler, jam jar, kitchen roll
- A board if you would like, although Joy usually works flat
Fee: £30 (members), £35 (non-members). Please deduct the early-bird discount of £5 if booking by 16 September 2019